Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Quote Analysis Act I Scene IV

Quote Analysis

"The Prince of Cumberland : that is a step on which i must fall down, or else o'erleap, for in my way it lies."

In this quote Macbeth is saying "To become king myself, I’m either going to have to step over him or give up" This shows Macbeth's view on the current prophecy ,that the witches have spoken, is that he wants to be king and knows clearly what to do, not only that but he has narrowed his decisions to two options; either step over the king "o'erleap" or give up "fall down". He also describes the prince as being in his way "for in my way lies it" this show that Macbeth has great disrespect for the prince. He referrers to the prince as the slave that he "unseamed from the nave to th'chops". Although the quote "The Prince of Cumberland..." is focused on Macbeth's treachery it also shows his uncertainty; "i must fall down". This shows that he would rather give up becoming king but considers over taking the prince.

1 comment:

  1. I challenge your interpretation - you have not fully explained HOW this represents 'self-doubt'. I can understand the treachery part, but there must be more subtle ways in which we can infer his doubt of himself.

    Miss Galip

    ReplyDelete